INGREDIENTS
1 onion chopped
2 carrots chopped
2 stalks of celery chopped
about 2 T olive oil
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
2 cooked, boneless chicken breast halves, cut up
1 (4.5 ounce) package quick cooking long grain and wild rice with seasoning packet (Uncle Bens is what I use)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
6 T cup butter
2 cups milk (I use skim)
DIRECTIONS
1. In olive oil cook the onion, celery, and carrots (I also added garlic) until the onions are transparent, then add the chicken broth, water, and chicken pieces. Cook over medium until boiling and stir in rice, NOT the seasoning. Cover and remove from heat.
2.In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper and flour. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in contents of seasoning packet until mixture is bubbly. Reduce heat to low, then stir in flour mixture by tablespoons, to form a roux. Whisk in cream, a little at a time, until fully incorporated and smooth. Cook until thickened, 5 minutes.
3.Stir cream mixture into broth and rice. Cook over medium heat until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes.
I used to work at a deli and we served this soup and it was always one of my favorites, I have had a hard time finding a recipe that tasted the same. I think this one might be even better. The recipe calls for more butter, flour and heavy cream but it's really not needed to be really creamy and good. I use skim milk and cut the butter and flour about in half, lots of calories saved and still tastes like it "should" be bad for you. :^) Enjoy!!!!!
Thursday, December 20, 2007
Creamy chicken and wild rice soup
Posted by Hannah at 3:06 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
yummy! i will have to try that!
You know I love to try new recipes!!
Post a Comment