Monday, October 1, 2007

Haylee's rough night

So Saturday night we are getting ready to have company over for ribs and fun.......then it happened! We here a bang.....a loud cry......and then one of the "oh my gosh something is wrong" cries. Justin comes running up the stairs with Haylee tight against his chest, turns her around, and I see my poor Haylee with this huge, black and blue, flattened, crooked nose that looks so painful I can hardly look at it. Now to go back and tell what happened to give the full effect:
Grace and Haylee are typical sisters where they like to make up new games and see how they turn out. This particular one could have been okay had they not been up on the bed when it happened. They have the bunk beds with the boards on the end that are about an inch wide on the top of them. Haylee was holding a pillow behind her head and Grace was on the other side pushing against the pillow to knock her down. (Can you see where this is going?) Haylee has both hands on the pillow and NO hand to catch her fall, so Grace pushes, Haylee comes crashing down on the thin head board and takes the full brunt of the fall with the bridge of her nose......OUCH!!!!

So Justin and I start panicking because we thought for sure it was broken and we needed to head to the ER, thank goodness for friends that could talk some sense into us. There was really nothing they could have done for her, the swelling went down pretty quickly and she was breathing out of it just fine. So I called the nurse, gave her some Tylenol and an ice pack and a movie to watch. She was such a trooper and was still wanting everyone to come over for dinner so she could play. Thank you, thank you, thank you was all I could pray. :) It was a close call. Now she looks like a mix between the beast from Beauty and the Beast, and the guy off the movie Mask with Cher. We are afraid to take her in public afraid we will be turned in for child abuse. I tried to take some pictures but they really don't do it justice.


This is a couple of hours after it happened.
This is today, can you tell the lump starts above her eyebrows and then the red mark where it actually hit.

So on the road to recovery and looking much better. We have really been lucky as far as injuries go, and when it happens Justin and I are not very good at handeling it. I wonder how we would be with a boy.......hmmmmm

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Haylee I wish I could kiss it better. After the panic did you die laughing at the way it must have happened? And how do they think of these games? I am glad all is well. It is probably good that you did not take her in with the rug burns and all to go with it. They really would have thought you were abusing the poor girl. We love you Haylee and are glad you are all right!

Jami said...

OMG, I can feel that panic. They will not treat a broken nose even if it is. They dont even splint them any more. Kids dont have true bones in their noses until they are older and you will not know any damage (if any) until the age 13. If she can breathe out of it that is the best sign!!! Have her look at Spencers picture and it can help make her feel better - read my blog for our nose latest....