Sunday, April 22, 2007

Count your blessings......

This week we have had great weather so we have been enjoying it any way we can and trying to be out doors as much as possible. That means of course that the girls don't get any nap or down time. My girls are still nappers (mainly because I force it upon them) but it does everyone a little good to be rested and have time to ourselves I think. Anyway, Friday we had been at the park all day and doing some grocery shopping. The girls helped me plant my planters and then Justin got home and we had a BBQ and hung out. The next morning we got up and got ready to go to the Tulip Festival which was amazing....(of course this is the weekend that I would forget my camera)...so we walked around this big street fair and had yummy fair food. Then we made our way out to the Tulip fields. This is something we will start doing every year it is so incredible. I also recommend it to anyone in the area at this time. So we walked around there for a bit and then headed home......well....we had told Grace that sometime during the day we would "try" (key word here) to find a spot to fly their kites. By the end of the day everyone was tired and there was NO wind. Try to explain that one to her though.....she had a MELT DOWN!!!!! The rest of her night was ruined and she went to bed early. We ended up flying their kites Sunday after church but it's just the fact that we had such a nice afternoon and that one thing can just send them into hysterics.....I don't get it!!! What do we do in these times?? Any advice?

So that night before I sent her to bed an hour early we had a big talk about counting our blessings. We went through the day and named all of the things that were good about the day, then the things that were not so good. She could name ONE not so good thing. So then I am trying to get the point across that having that one thing ruin her whole day is just silly. Yet when I got to thinking about it I am the same way at times and I don't even realize it. Why do we dwell on the negative all the time? Even as adults we can't deal very well with the word "no" and we are in reality just like our toddlers sometimes. We all need to count our blessings....every day....however small. :^)

3 comments:

Kristin said...

I think you are handling things the perfect way. I love that you talked to Grace about "Counting her Blessings" that is so much nicer than yelling and calling someone an "ungrateful brat"...that is more what I do. Poor Reilly she is going to be in therapy when she is grown.

Sounds like a fun day. You are such a good mom and you inspire me every time I read your blog.

Hannah said...

Thank you Kristen, that is very sweet....words of encouragement are always helpful. ;)

Stacey said...

Hi Hannah!
Hope things are good for all of you. I haven't had nearly as much time on the computer lately as I like, so am just now getting caught up on your blog.
We are having some difficulty with Dane also. Major meltdowns, whining, fits, etc. Fights at every meal....he would rather play than eat...ever! He is a picky little eater also. It is sooooo frustrating. Hope it is just a stage and that he will grow out of it. I don't know how he is surviving though, he eats like a bird. He must take after John because John always forgets to eat....me, never! I may forget my keys, coat, etc., but never a meal!!
Did you hear our big news about #2?? I am sure you did! I am 10 weeks along and feeling like total crap, but looking forward to a new baby. I am due Nov. 30th and hoping for a girl!!
Love you guys, Stacey