Moving away from our family years ago has definitely had it's challenges and I don't think until you have family emergencies, celebrations, sporting events or concerts, that we think about how alone in this city we seem to be. Everyone we know here has their own families to support and comfort in times of need or crisis. It's just us......and sometimes that's weird. We wouldn't change it now that we've come this far but it can be hard and something I wish my kids could experience for sure.
Grandpa was one of his grandkids biggest fans and it kills me to think of weddings, graduations, great grandkids, all the things he won't get to be here for. Grace has mentioned that a few times as well and I know that is really hard for her.
After Mike passed away and they got the apartment cleaned out and all the last few arrangements made we all headed from our own cities to Boise. The night before we left Kristin stopped by with yummy cupcakes and sweet cards from all the kids and it was really what my heart needed. I felt very alone here after telling my kids about Grandpa, they were so sad and though it was nice to have a couple days to process before we had to be around everyone it was hard to be here all by ourselves.
Gavin left me this note on the counter for when I woke up.
translate:(To Mom from Gavin, I hope you aren't sad. Answer me back on a card.)
Such a sweet boy.
All the goodies.
I had a couple people bring us snacks and dinner. Church was very sweet about checking in and the pastor called on my way out of town to pray with me which really helped because that morning it had started to snow and the roads were not great. I was a mess trying not to be a mess......ugh!
Going through hundreds of pictures was probably a favorite of everyone's. It's not an easy task but it's sort of therapeutic and we laughed, cried, and laughed some more.
We stopped to see my family at my Mom's house for an impromptu dinner. It was a nice break from the sad and I got to love on my other nieces and nephews.
Sweet Hudson.
Bo
All the boys watching sports. ;)
The next day was getting funeral arrangements made and getting Mike ready for the viewing. The boys helped to dress him which I thought was sweet and the funeral director was a family friend and did a wonderful job with all of us there. It takes a special person to do that job I don't envy him a bit.
The viewing was great and there was a good turnout of family and close friends. All the kids got to see him and say goodbye which was really hard but very sweet. My kids had made a rice bag for Grandpa's birthday because he was always cold in Seattle. Sadly he never got to see it so they put it in the casket with him, along with other cards all the grandkids had made.
The funeral was nice, there was a great turnout and Wendy did an amazing job speaking, I still don't know how she did that. All the kids plus Gavin and Jackson were the pallbearers. I wish I would have gotten more pictures of this part.
After it was all said and done we sort of didn't know what to do with ourselves........but the kids had ideas. So off to the park we went and we had a great time playing and getting our minds off other things.
The feast!!
Then it was off for a game of ghost in the grave yard I believe. All the kids love Uncle Ben's games.
Another favorite of ours is a good old kick ball game. Man I wish I had taken some video because this family is hilarious......and ruthless. ;)
Grandpa's favorite ice cream spot was next on the list after a long day. We all left with full bellies and sad hearts that he wasn't there to share in the fun. Man these kids miss him.
The last order of business before everyone headed back home was to pick out a shirt of Grandpa's. That was hard for the bigger kids who knew which ones were his most worn and favorite. My kids wear them all the time and Grace sleeps with one under her pillow at night.
And here he rests after cremation. It's a beautiful box but it still just doesn't feel right.
































































0 comments:
Post a Comment